May 28, 2010

My One Year Long Blogging Journey

I'm still really awed that I'm already blogging for one year. Where did the time go? And because I'm sentimental today (it's the actually blogoversary day) I decided to tell you about my first baby steps into the Blogging Universe.

I had a rather tough start in October 2008 when I decided to change my mayor into civil engineering. I already studied so long and I felt like I'm getting way too old to start something new. My first mayor was a total failure for me and it really scraped at my ego but I tried to be strong and started from scratch. So there I was already 23 years old in a class full of 18 year olds and I just didn't click with them. Not in the least. I never had this problem before and it irked me to be unable to get a conversation with those people. They don't read, they don't like the same movies and in my opinion what these people listen to can't even be described as music.  I luckily found some nice people in another class and I wanted nothing more then change to this one. But as it is in Germany it was rather complicated to achieve that. I tried my best but I was stuck with the "babies" for the first semester and I escaped into the world of books. I discovered the Twilight books and without even noticing I started reading other paranormal romance books. But now that I read so much I wanted to talk about it too and unfortunately for the first time BF didn't want to read the books I read. So what to do? I searched online for people who like the same books. I discovered the world of blogging and at first I only watched, staying in the safe space behind my computer. After a while I thought perhaps you should try it and if they laugh at your English you can always stop. But no-one laughed and I was addicted to the whole blogging thing so fast I just couldn't even think about stopping. I found people to talk about books and they showed me other books I might like and I have to say these recommendations are way better than the onces amazon made.

So I build my own blog. The whole html/CSS topic nearly made me crazy at first but I survived it after all.
My first post was rather short but it says it all:
I can't believe how long I'm capable of trying to add a goodreads widget without throwing the PC out of the window. *headdesk*
But I think it worked now. *hope*
So now I will try to add twitter without getting totally crazy. Perhaps I should get a new coffee before starting ;-)

I started to write about what I like about the books I read and I started to comment on other blogs. I was so proud about making my first comment. I was so afraid to says something wrong, shy me and all, but still no-one laughed and I felt at home. And I also discovered twitter and I can't imagine life without it..

Leontine's Book RealmMy first comment was from the wonderful Leontine on my rather short review of Red by Jordan Summers and it totally made my day. I was still so unsure about what I did and I was thrilled that someone really reads the stuff I write. Thanks again for that Leontine!

One Book Away From HeavenSome time later pattepoilue found my blog and I think I found a soul-mate (in a total platonic way LOL) in her. I can't say often enough how much she means to me and I'm still surprised that we 2 are really the same kind of crazy. She always gets my stupid jokes and understands my english even before I drank any coffee in the morning. Alone for that blogging is a win win project for me.

In July I started with my monthly reading summaries and again I was surprised how many people read these kind of posts.

In August I had my first author comment and I was soooo thrilled. I jumped up and down like the crazy I am and just couldn't stop talking about it for 3 days. Thanks to Deidre Knight for that. I also discovered the world of erotica in August and OMG thank god for that. *wink*

In September I started my first own feature "Science Fiction Hunks" and now that I think about it I really should make a new post for that one.
I also discovered my
At the end of September I also had my first ARC review Sweet Seduction by Maya Banks. I was so unsure about that one and I changed at least a million times.

I wrote my first email to an author in October asking a question and I was so thrilled that Ms. Erin McCarthy answered even if it was not the answer I wanted.

I started My Geeky Desires in November and again the readers surprise me with liking it. I moved this feature to Book Lovers Inc in January: We gave it a new name and I post it there as Geekdom of Books.
In November I also wrote about the Fall of the Berlin Wall and what that meant to me. I thinkit was a good idea to write this post. I still get hits on that post from searches like: why was the fall of the berlin wall such a big deal? At least I hope these people understand why after they read a post like mine.

I won my first real paperback ARC from Shiloh Walker and I was so thrilled I had to take a pic.

My first guest post was in December. Teal Ceagh (Tracy-Cooper Posey) came over and it was so much fun. I really liked that experience so over the time the list of guest authors became longer. A BIG Thank You to:
Tracy Cooper-Posey, Tina Donahue, Julia Rachel Barrett, Sara Brookes, Stephanie Julian, Heather Long, Destiny Blaine, Joely Sue BurkhartStephanie Draven and JA Saare (she will be here tomorrow).

In January me and a few fellow bloggers founded Book Lovers Inc. This was a huge step for all of us and a huge pain in the ass concerning the organization and even more horrible concerning the template. I wasted so many hours of work on the first template and it just never wanted to do what I said it should. But after what felt like 25 years finally the layout is okay and I'm proud that I did it. Go Susi!!!!

The rest of 2010 was rather a blur for me blogging wise. With the 2 blogs at onces it was hard to find a rhythm of paying enough attention to both. It's like 2 kids and you don't want one to feel left behind. I have to admit that probably The Geeky Bookworm is the one that took a bit of a backseat in the last few months but in my heart it will always be my first baby blog. It got even harder cuz I took over more organizing tasks for BLI in April but I'm proud of what I achieved there.

But back to The Geeky Bookworm. What were the moments that made my heart swell with proud? When an author mentions your review on her blog. I never thought that would happen but it did and perhaps it made me a bit teary eyed each time.

Here a few stats about The Geeky Bookworm:
- 155 published posts
- 1513 comments (this number is counted by me so it could be wrong LOL but still WOW)
- 11 Guestposts
- 14 Giveaways
- Post with most comments: They Did It how? by Tina Donahue
- Post with the strangest comments: Gargoyles as heroes? by Teal Ceagh Thanks to Minxy!
- The most drooled over Post: Science Fiction Hunks- Dark Angel (931 hits OMG LOL)
- The geekiest Post: My First Geeky Desires



Okay at last but not least I want to thank you all. For making this year to something so wonderful and special. You all totally rock and I'm so lucky and grateful that I found you. Blogging with you wouldn't be as much fun as it is for me and I still thrilled about every comment.

So girls: grab a glass of champagne to celebrate! My treat. ;)

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend.

And don't forget to enter the giveaways. A list of links to each post can be found at the top. =)

18 comments:

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) May 28, 2010 at 4:32 PM  

Great post - Happy Blogiversary!

Blodeuedd May 28, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

Yay happy anniversary Susi!!!!!
I started blogging for that reason too, to talk to peeps.
Now why doesn't my friends read, they are just evil ;)

Happy to have ya here, meine Deutsche freundin.

Dunno about the grammar but you get the idea :D

MrsMixx May 28, 2010 at 4:50 PM  

Hon!!! Happy Blogoversary!!!
*teary eyes* you know it's not nice to make me cry!! I <3 you too! You're the sweetest! I'm so happy to have met you, I can't say it enough.
Hey what you mean 'platonic'? There'll be no sex in the end? All my listening to you for nothing? LMAO I'm kidding (<====I'm making sure every HOT males knows that I'm kidding, eh I don't wanna ruin my chances with sexy half naked menz)

I'm so happy that you found a way to make both blogs work!I love reading your GeekyBookworm's posts, when I grow up I wanna be a Geek too! And I'm really really happy you asked me to join you on the BLI adventure!

Oh I'm not surprised the Science Fiction Hunk posts got so many hits! I literally drooled on my keyboards while looking at it!

Happy Blogoversary hon and to many many more!
((hugs))

SusiSunshine May 28, 2010 at 4:57 PM  

@WickedLilPixie @Mel @Patti Thanks ladies!

@Blodeuedd That's what I ask myself all the time, too. LOL The grammar is fine by the way. Dankeschön!

@pattepoilue LMAO You are just hilarious. *tries to brush away the tears* LOL I will try to assist you with that very young padawan. Thanks for everything hon!

Alexia561 May 28, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

Happy Blogaversary!

Love your blog, and am impressed that you're able to keep up with two of them!

Enjoyed the look back at your blogging journey. :)

Julia Barrett May 28, 2010 at 7:05 PM  

What a great year! You've grown very fast and I think your English is marvelous, far better than my German will ever be! I know this next year will be even better! It is hard to find people who read as much as you, isn't it...

SusiSunshine May 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM  

@Alexia Thanks hon. Sometimes it's hard to have them both but after all I love them and I just can't stop. =) Thanks.

@Victoria Thanks hon!

@Julia Thanks sweets. Yep it is hard to find someone like that. Luckily BF understands cuz he is nearly the same. Was lucky to find him.

Lea May 29, 2010 at 1:15 AM  

Wonderful, wonderful post Susi!

You have accomplished so much over the past year! Wow.. I am beyond impressed.

Congratulations and happy Blogoversary. :-)

Warmest regards,

L

The Queen B May 29, 2010 at 6:45 AM  

Yay!! Happy Anniversary! You are one smexy and fun girl, my friend. I'm glad I got to meet you through twitter and blogging. Muah!!

SusiSunshine May 29, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

@Lea Thanks hon! It took some time ahem...4 hours...ahem. LOL I can be such a slow blogger. LOL

@Queen B Thankies and I totally ditto that. ((hugs))

katsrus May 29, 2010 at 11:46 PM  

Congrads on it being 1 year!
Sue B

Sara Brookes May 31, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

Congrats on celebrating one year!

Jackie May 31, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

WOW Susi, I am late but after reading the entire journey had to say you had one great year there!!!
I know exactly what you mean about the first time an author commented on the blog, it was a jump and down and squeal my head off for me moment too! I think it is for all of us. It is very cool to read all the peoples journeys who celebrate their blogoversary and always nice to see how a love of books and reading can make such a long way away from each other "shrink" the distance into nothing!! Here is to many more years both on Geeky and BL, you keep up the good work and enjoy it too!!

jackie b central texas

SusiSunshine May 31, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

@katrus @Sara Thanks ladies!

@Jackie Thanks hon. I'm happy to share what I experienced. Blogging is real fun and I would have never thought how much I would enjoy it. And I agree it is awesome to meet so many ppl from different places.

Anny Cook May 31, 2010 at 11:15 PM  

Congratulations on your first year! You accomplished a lot--especially as you're in school, also. Keep up the good work!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP