July 3, 2010

Strange Reading Observations

So I read Three Days to Dead by Kelly Meding this week and I noticed something strange in the way I read an English book. I never really noticed before but I think I always did this but I just never noticed it.

I sat on the balcony with BF. We both had a book in our hands and I stumbled on an abbreviation I just couldn't remember the meaning of. So I thought ask BF perhaps he knows (imagine this dialog in German please):

Me: "Schatz, what does "IOU"(pronounced in German that is: [i:][ɔ][ʊ] mean?"

BF: "Huh?...*silence*...Could it be you mean I Owe You?"

That was a serious *headpalm* moment for me. But I noticed that I usually pronounce all new-to-me abbreviations in German while reading an English book. And even stranger I don't do that with the ones I already know. O_o That is really weird I know but it made me think about the whole reading in a different language thing. Why am I pronouncing abbreviations in German and words I just don't know in English?

I also noticed that I don't translate numbers in my head while reading when they are bigger than lets say 100. I would never take the time to read 186,678,89.76 in English when in German it is so much faster. Same goes for the time. Okay there I have to distinguish but lets say I see 8:36 in a text I will always pronounce it German but when there is 8 AM I would do it in English.

Any other international readers who do that too or am I the only crazy girl out there?

6 comments:

MrsMixx July 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM  

LMAO hon *sings* you are not alooooone.

I do that too hon...if the numbers are written in letters no problem but if not i tend to read them in French LOL

Same with hour! LMAO

And some abbreviation I keep on reading strangely....example? TGIF..I know what it means, but every time I see it, the first second i see it I read T-Gif O_o
I am weird.
WE are weird!


PS: I love the Whut? Kitteh

Blodeuedd July 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM  

I was trying to read this old English text, like 14th century, and of course to know what it meant was HARD, but I made it harder cos I pronounced the word the way I would in Swedish, so yea I do it too

Cecile Smutty Hussy July 3, 2010 at 8:09 PM  

Well at least you ladies can say that you see it in another language, lmbo... I speak English and I am still bogged by the meaning of some words, lmbo!!!! Especially the teenage slang...... Now imagine instead of asking boyfriend... I have to ask my 16 yr old daughter "what does this mean?"! Yeah... now laugh!!!!

I love you guys... you make me giggle!!! I hope you all have a great weekend!

Ina July 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

Susi, du sprichst mir aus der Seele!

args, it would take me way to much time to read such a number in English -.-
I don't know about the time or abbreviations, but I will pay attention the next time!

@Cecile: sorry, but that's really funny *gg* *hugs*
have a wonderful weekend,
Ina

SusiSunshine July 3, 2010 at 8:52 PM  

@Cecile No worries hon. When I started to read J.R. Ward I was so frustrated with the first book. I'm not good at slang in German and I always had a laptop near so I could google the meaning. I can give you some good slang translation sites. ;)

@Ina I never noticed before cuz they mostly aren't that obvisiously but this time was really embarrassing. LOL Have a great weekend.

Unknown July 12, 2010 at 8:05 PM  

I do the same!! and I go further and say that I also do it with unusual names... not names like "Kate"...

but really unusual names, that I havent heard before... I end up pronouncing them in Portuguese LOL =)))

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP