July 6, 2010

Review: The Missing by Shiloh Walker

Description:
LOVE LOST

As a teenager, Taige Branch was able to do things with her psychic gift that others couldn't understand - except for Cullen Morgan, the boy who stole her heart. He did his best to accept her abilities, until his mother was brutally murdered - and he couldn't forgive Taige for not preventing her death.

PASSION FOUND

Now a widowed father, Cullen Morgan has never forgotten Taige. but what brings her back into his life is another tragic event. His beloved little girl has been kidnapped, and Taige is his only hope of finding her.

A LOVE THAT NEVER DIED

Working together against the clock, Cullen and Taige can't help but wonder whether - if the find his daughter in time - it isn't too late for the overpowering love that still burns between them...

I received this book as a review copy from the author.

Review:
One thing I learned for sure: Shiloh Walker knows how to throw an emotional punch right into your heart. The Missing will grab your heart from the start and not let go until you read the last page. I think it is an unique talent Mrs. Walker has there. Her books are always full of heartbreak, thrill and they have their share of sexy times, too.

In The Missing we meet Taige in her teenage years. She already suffered a lot and still does most of the time. Not only does she hear and see monstrous things happening but she also has to survive the attention of her extremely religious uncle who believes she is the spawn of Satan. Her life isn't as it should be for a teenage girl. Not much makes her life good. She can escape into the haven of Rose's and Dante's love from time to time but she has to go back to her uncle from hell, too. My heart bled for Taige and as the story went on that only intensified.

We also meet Cullen (anyone else has to think of Twilight every time...). He is a nice boy with rich parents but he still stands with his both feet on the ground. He had a crush on Taige since the first time he saw her and she just won't leave his thought alone. He is positively smitten and searches for a way to get in touch. When he finally earns her attention it is on a rather life threatening situation and since that moment these 2 are glued together. I loved the way their relationship developed. It was so sweet and lovely- I really hoped for a HEA for them. But if you read the Blurb you know that it didn't went this way. When Cullen's mom is murdered every thing changes. He says some really really mean things and behaves like a total jerk. I would have loved to slap him silly for that. No matter what happens you should NEVER do something like this. When someone opens up to you that much you should never use that information to hurt that person. Every thing he said was like a death blow to Taige and I would have never looked at him again after that. But she does (Taige is definitely way nicer than me).

The next part of the book takes place 12 years after that last big fight. Cullen has a daughter and Taige works for the FBI and the police as a psychic bloodhound. Taige can't really cope with this job. It drains her emotionally and every new case kills a bit of herself. She is empty inside and tries to escape her visions and dreams through alcohol. Taige doesn't blame Cullen for that but I totally do.
When Cullen's daughter is kidnapped they decide to work together to get her back and bring justice to the monster who did that to her.

As you can see this book is full of action. Everything happens real fast and sometimes it was just a bit too much for me. Not the amount of the action but I thought it was a bit too much what happened to our couple through the whole book. How can someone survive this? I honestly don't know. I like the pace of the story though. I read the last half of the book in one session- I was tired like hell but I couldn't put it down. The suspense is good but I already knew how the bad guy was in the middle of the book. But I was still under the ban of Shiloh's writing.

I really liked how these 2 rediscovered their love for each other. It was obvious really quick that they are meant for reach other but I can't blame Taige to be a bit cautious after their history together. It was nice to see a couple that really cared for each other and that not everything was focused on the sexual attraction and sex.
They gave each other so much comfort and honest love- just wonderful.

There was another thing I noticed. I recently read No Longer Mine also by Shiloh Walker and The Missing really reminded me of that story. I'm not sure if it's just Mrs. Walker's writing style or the story but both books have a bit of the same feel.

The Missing is a good romantic suspense (with paranormal elements) about love, devotion, trust and faith. If you like your books emotional this is definitely the right book for you.
 
To learn more about Shiloh Walker and her books please visit her website here.


You can read more reviews @Goodreads and buy the book @BookDepository

8 comments:

MrsMixx July 6, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

Oh I'm not sure I could bear so much angst and frustrating and sadness. Too much emotion would kill me.
I'm also not a fan of '15 years later'....this is just not my thing.
And yes I do think of Edward when I see Cullen LOL

SusiSunshine July 6, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

@pattepoilue It will probably not be a book for you. You need something happier. And yes I agree about the 15 years. But the next morning thing is even worse!

MrsMixx July 6, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

*shudders* don't remind me about that lol There no going back to Next Morning books once you've gone smutty!

Lea July 7, 2010 at 12:49 AM  

Hi Patte:

Great review! I do love the emotional ones and loved, loved "Broken" by Ms. Walker. I have "The Missing" in the stacks waiting to be read. I think it may be my sort of read. I also have "Fragile" and want to read it first.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Shiloh Walker July 7, 2010 at 6:17 AM  

Thanks for the review, Susi! ;o)

Honestly, I had written this book-it orignally came out in 2008, I wrote in 2007 and it was proposed to my editor in late 2005/early 2006, before I even about the twilight craze... I still haven't read the books and only know about them as much as I do because of my daughter. I don't think I knew who Edward Cullen was until maybe two years ago, tops. O.o

SusiSunshine July 7, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

@Lea I read so many good things about Broken and Fragile and both are on my to buy list. Look so good.

@Shiloh Me neither lol. But it is crazy that this one series has such an impact on us. Read them in 2008 and till now I still remember them when I read the name Cullen. But I never read that name before Twilight either. Not very common name her in Germany. ;)

Blodeuedd July 7, 2010 at 4:48 PM  

Must have been evil blogger that made me miss one this one yesterday, I am glad I looked back today :)

SusiSunshine July 7, 2010 at 4:54 PM  

@Blodeuedd Yep blogger was PMSing big time yday.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP