July 15, 2010

Review: His at Night by Sherry Thomas

Description:
He is England's most foolish lordling. She is a very desperate young woman—and still not desperate enough to want him for a husband. But Fate has a way of upsetting the best-laid plans and Elissande finds herself married to a man whose vast idiocy makes her teeth hurt—from clenching them so hard!

But is Lord Vere really a hopeless cretin, or has Elissande accidentally married the one man who keeps his secrets as well as she does hers? And once Lord Vere gets over his shock of being shackled to a young lady who seems to be everything he doesn't want—if only he could stop desiring her madly—will he discover that she is the one who holds the key to his long-locked heart?

My Thoughts:
The first thing I should probably tell you is that I'm not a huge historical reader. I enjoy it from time to time but at heart I am a paranormal girl. That being said I really enjoyed this book. I had a few little ruffles with it but I think that most of those can be explained with me not reading enough novels in this genre.

What I liked:
1. The story flows wonderfully. You start reading and the next time you look up you've read 100+ pages without having noticed. Mrs. Thomas storytelling is addictive and never lost its appeal.

2. Her conversations are fun- they were time appropriate (in my non-expert eyes) but also amusing to no end. Especially Lord Vere's un-knowledge was hilarious. It must have been so much fun to write this part. He made stories up that were so crazy and stupid that they left me laughing on the bed.

3. I loved her side characters. The romance between Freddie and (name) was fascinating. I love these situations where both want each other but are too shy to do anything. I loved the way they interacted and that she wasn't afraid to tell him her opinion on everything. I like strong woman  with an mind and no hassle to stand up for what they want. Perhaps that is why I liked these 2 more than the main couple.

What I didn't like that much:
1. Lord Vere was contradicting. He blames Elissande for tricking him into he marriage and for "playing" most of her reaction to others but on the other hand he is even worse. He lies to everyone including his family. They all are worried about him and his "accidentally" caused stupidity. He was a bit too full of himself for my taste and everyone forgave him way too easily. He was cute from time to time but most of the time I just wanted to slap him silly. How dares he to judge Ellissande even after he knows what she went through. One second he was full of empathy and in the next he was picturing her as the worst lier of the world again. Also he's jumping in bed with her and then drops her like some piece of junk. I'm not appreciating that at all. And don't get me started on the first time they had sex. That was just so wrong. I know I'm ranting but that one really was a piece of work.

2. Perhaps I'm too modern but I don't think that woman of that time didn't know what an orgasm was. These woman had time alone with their body too and I can't believe that they didn't experimented with themselves. Okay I get that they probably weren't that informed about the male body and what to do with it but every woman should know her body at least a bit.

Okay ranting done. Beside this 2 points I really like this book. The story was compelling, the pace was perfect and the characters were mostly nice. It was a fast entertaining read I couldn't put down even if I was not so happy about some parts. I already plan to buy another of Mrs. Thomas books because she definitely knew how to entertain me.

To learn about Sherry Thomas and her books please visit her website here.


You can read other reviews @goodreads and buy the book @BookDepository

11 comments:

Pearl July 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

I have this one on Mt. TBR! I loved Sherry Thomas's last book very much!

Blodeuedd July 15, 2010 at 7:50 PM  

I can believe the orgasm part, I mean if you touched yourself your hands fell of, the Church did preach eternal damnation and a bit more listened and feared silly things

SusiSunshine July 15, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

@Pearl I saw that one too and it sounds wonderful. Already on my to buy list.

@Blodeuedd Caroline told me that too but still. I can be stubborn about this. LOL

MrsMixx July 15, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

We should be happy we don't live 200years ago then LOL
I think you should read Addicted or Sinful, it's historical erotica and it's less strict about all that. The heroines are more free with their sexuality. =P (and those are great books LOL)

I want this book now hon! Great review! I want this booooooooooook!!! lol

SusiSunshine July 15, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

@pattepoilue Yes I want those 2 and the Mackenzie books you read. I think I would prefer these. *wicked grin*

MrsMixx July 15, 2010 at 10:41 PM  

OMG yes hon! You need the Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie! lol So wicked so good so smexyyyyyyy YUM

SusiSunshine July 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

@pattepoilue Evil!!! You tempt me so much. *pats poor credit card*

Christine July 17, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

Hi!

You´ve got an award! Stop by my blog and claim it if you want!

Have a great weekend!

xoxo,
Christine

Marissa July 20, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

Hi Susi,

I have been out of touch lately, so busy with work, it got in the way of blogging, reading, bloghopping, in short in the way of all fun things! Love your review, very honest, I love historical romance and therefore Sherri Thomas, have this one in my tbr pile.

Hope you are well!

Hugs!

Kaetrin July 24, 2010 at 6:33 AM  

I really liked this one. It's my favourite so far of all of Sherry's books. I think she just keeps getting better and better.

SusiSunshine July 24, 2010 at 8:08 AM  

@Marissa Missed you hon but real life can be a pain. I think I like Mrs. Thomas style. ((hugs)).

@Kaetrin It was fun. I have to get more of her stuff. =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP