November 1, 2009

My October Reads

The semester started again at the beginning of October and I kind of lost my reading mojo. Thankfully Grimspace by Ann Aguirre reactivated it so not the whole month was wasted. Here is my list for the last month:



1. Covet (Fallen Angels, #1) by J. R. Ward


This is the first installment of the Fallen Angels series and this book was a real disappointment for me. After reading Lover Avenged I was counting the days to get my next J. R. Ward fix but I think this was also the crux. I imagined a masterpiece and what I got was nothing like that at all. I never should have made so high demands. The story in this book was Sololá and I didn’t really care for the hero/heroine couple. Jim Heron was OK but also nothing that rocked my world. The dog was nice. I think that says enough about me and Covet. This book killed m reading mojo for nearly two weeks. I’m not sure if I want to know what happens next. It gets 2 stars cuz the end was relative good and I enjoyed the last 80 pages of the book. I noticed that many other people likes this so perhaps it just reflects my disappointment.


2. Must Love Hellhounds Anthology
I have to admit I only read Nalini Singh’s Angel’s Judgment and Ilona Andrews’ Magic Mourns. I loved both stories. Magic Mourns is about Andrea and Raphael from her Kate Daniels series and this story is just perfect. I love the boudas and Raphael in particular and really enjoyed a book dedicated to them. Andrea’s character is wonderful realized and I couldn’t stop reading this story.


Angel’s Judgment is about Sara and Deacon and is placed in Nalini’s new Guild Hunter series. I love Nalini’s style of writing cuz it always grips me from the first sentence and doesn’t let me go till I read the last word. I really like this new world she created and it’s getting a great competition in my heart for the best Nalini Singh series.
I plan to read Meljean Brook’s other books in her series before reading this one. And I’m not sure if I want to read Charlaine Harris story cuz I don’t care about her Sookie Stackhouse series at all.


3. On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews


As perhaps mentioned a few times before I just love Ilona Andrews books and can’t get enough of them. And this one is definitely no exception. This is the first book in the Edge series and Ilona’s way of building a new world is wonderful. A perfect mix of action, witty fun and the right amount of romance. Perfect!


You can read my full review here.




4. Grimspace (Sirantha Jax, #1) by Ann Aguirre

This book is the first in the Sirnatha Jax series. It throws in the middle of wonderful science fiction world. That’s the first thing I loved about this book. Man I missed science fiction. This book is full of action, betrayal, love and heartbreak. It’s very emotional and funny at the same time. A perfect mix. Full review to come!





5. Sweet Restraint by Beth Kery
This book is a standalone I won at the Bookbinge and OMFG that was hawt. As the cover shyly proclaims it’s about BDSM and a really naughty erotica. I enjoyed reading it. The pages flew by and to my surprise the book was over. I would have loved a little more story cuz at times at felt like reading p0rn. Some decisions the characters made where incomprehensible

for me but I think I’m just a little narrow minded sometimes.Entertaining book and a good quick read!



6. Wanderlust (Sirantha Jax, #2) by Ann Aguirre


This is the second installment in the Sirantha Jax series and I loved this even more than the first. I admit it took me ages to finish but only cuz I had to cry every time I read a chapter. Not many people I talked to had the same experience with this book so it could be it was just me being a girl. *wink* Heartbreaking and gripping! Just took a Jax pause to find my inner peace again and not to end as a puddle of tears. Review to come after I finished Doubleblind(book 3 in this series).



7. Beloved Vampire (Vampire Queen, #4) by Joey W. Hill
I won this one at a giveaway over at the blog of The Knight Agency. I was a little uncertain at first cuz it’s always noted it’s book 4 in the Vampire Queen series. But I discovered with the help of the wonderful Sara Brookes that’s a standalone only written in the world. I loved the way Ms. Hill writes, her voice is fascinating and captured me from the start. This book is really sad and heartbreaking at some points but it didn’t made me cry(not sure if that is good or bad). The story was well developed and at some points I felt that I missed something cuz it happened in the previous books. Loved this book and have to get the rest of this series ASAP.



Ok and I admit it: I finished the last book today but my list was so short that I had to put it in.So, sue me! LOL


How was your reading month? Any good new discoveries I have to get? And please don’t say Skin Game by Ava Gray cuz I already ordered that one. ;-)


Hope you all have a nice Sunday!

16 comments:

Sara Brookes November 1, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

Glad to know that more awaits in the Joey Hill Vamp Queen books. :^)

Since you like romance/sci-fi have you ever tried J D Robb? It's a long term commitment to get involved with her romantic futuristic suspense books as the newest in the series that comes out this week is number 29 in the series. O_o But I always finish each book wanting a Roarke of my very own.

SusiSunshine November 1, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

@Sara NO 29? Oh my, that's plenty but I will definitely take a look at it. Thanks for the hint hon!

Michelle Greathouse November 1, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

I have Wanderlust on the shelf and On the Edge on my wish list. :) Glad to know you enjoyed both.

I am a huge fan of the J D Robb books - so I second that recommendation. :)

M

Blodeuedd November 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM  

Oh I do hate books that kills your reading mojo. It kind of happened to me too. I have been rather lazy.

What to say, oh read Poison Study by Maria Snyder, loved that one.

And I really liked the Patricia Briggs book, Moon Called and Marta Acostas book was pretty funny.

MrsMixx November 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

Yay i'm gonna be able to read Must Love Hellhounds i received my won copy and i can't wait to read Ilona Andrew's short story =D
I will read Covet but i don't want it to kill my reading mojo too =( we'll see in a few weeks.

Leontine November 1, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

Hi Susi - what a great reading month you've had! And I have head a 5 star read with Joey Hill's Mermaid series :D I still need to read Covet, Must Love Hellhounds & On The Edge. Let's hope for an equal or better November month!

Marissa November 1, 2009 at 6:38 PM  

Hi Susi, great reads! I only read Covet of your list, Sweet Restraint is on my list, and I am thinking of buying On The Edge because everyone is raving and ranting about it!

SusiSunshine November 1, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

@Michelle I can't wait to get this one now. Everyone seems to love these books. Never read any Nora Roberts.

@pattepoilue Don't expect to much of it! Have you read the BDB series?

@Leontine I will hope for better. Joey W. Hill really made me addicted. Love her writing.

@Marissa On the Edge is really good- you won't regret it. Did you like Covet?

MrsMixx November 1, 2009 at 7:40 PM  

@Susi i've read the first few books of the series. I'm stuck on Lover Unbound. I loved it so far but i read them too quickly now i can't get myself to start reading it again... :/ And you know i've read ONE bad review and it affected my view of it. Time will help lol

SusiSunshine November 1, 2009 at 10:09 PM  

@Blodeuedd I totally missed your comment last time I lookes. *hides in shame* Heard good things about Poison Study. Will definitely try this series. Love Patricia Briggs' books and have to check Marta Acostas.

@pattepoilue I enjoyed them all. I loved Lover Avenged, it's my favorite so far but Lover Mine has a potential to get this place. I always loved V as a character but thought his book didn't do him justice.

SarahT November 2, 2009 at 10:51 AM  

Nice list! I need to give Ann Aguirre a try.

SusiSunshine November 2, 2009 at 11:40 AM  

@SarahT You really should very good books so far!

Smokinhotbooks November 2, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

Oh my god Grimspace soooo good. I liked Covet, then I didn't like Covet - sorta like a high school relationship.

Christine November 3, 2009 at 12:25 AM  

Hey Susi!
What a great list of reads for October.

Good to know about Covet. I passed right over it. I'm still thinking of buying and maybe even reading Lover Avenged when it comes out in paperback this month.

I'm reading Doubleblind now. Don't you just love Sirantha Jax? And didn't the ending of Wanderlust just break your heart?

SusiSunshine November 3, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

@Christine I loved Lover Avenged. It's one of her best IMO. Yep, Wanderlust really broke my heart. That's the reason I needed a Jax break. SO sad. Will continue reading it soon, I hope.

SusiSunshine November 3, 2009 at 1:46 PM  

@Smokinhotbooks Yes o Grimspace and Covet was like a stalker for me. I just couldn't get away from it but so not in a good way.LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP