September 1, 2010

Review: Red Demon by Deidre Knight

Description:
After assuming the power of life and death for the immortal Spartan brotherhood, Aristos Petrakos still hasn’t mastered his unpredictable, newfound abilities. And now a medium brings him a message from the other side—a romantic message Ari doesn’t want to hear…

A century ago, the love of Ari’s immortal life, Julianna Tiades, drowned herself in the Savannah River—after she learned about Ari’s shapeshifting abilities. Desperate to reveal the truth about her death, Julianna makes a bargain with a Djinn demon, who offers to give her physical form. But as Julianna and Ari are reunited in passion, the debt must be paid—in souls and spirits…


Review:
Since reading the first 2 books in the Midnight Gods series last summer I knew that this series was an absolute keeper. The wait felt like an eternity and when the time was finally there I realized with a shock that I couldn't afford the book. HORROR! Luckily the wonderful pattepoilue took pity with me and my months-long-book-abstinence and surprised me with this one. Thanks so much hon. You are made of awesome.

So I couldn't wait to start this book and from the first few pages I knew that I would love this book, too. Red Demon is all about Aristos and Juliana. At the end of Red Fire was this scene where we met Juliana for the first time and yes I craved to know what was behind that for 1 year.

We already know Aristos as a part of our Spartan brotherhood and he always was one of my favorites. He's funny, he cares and he is like the glue that keeps the brothers together.  In Red Demon he is a bit changed. At the end of Red Fire his life was changed dramatically, not only because he saw his long dead love again. His new powers, or perhaps burden is better, make his life a bit more complicated. And who wouldn't be freaking out when you see the love of your life again after her being dead for 100 years? He struggles with his emotions. He is afraid to believe that she is real and to fall in love again, just to be left alone- mourning again. My heart broke for him. He loves her still, he never really stopped. His heart was and will always be hers. *sigh* Oh my, 100 years and no other woman. It is totally unrealistic but I love it. There is also the guilt of her death. Ari believes that he caused her death indirectly with showing her his shifter side. No matter what she say he is 100% sure that was scared of him and his unnatural form and committed suicide because she just couldn't cope with it. Ari always was a man of jokes and pun and it was a bit strange to see him like this at first but I discovered real fast why that is so.

Julianna is a strong and open-minded person. At first she is a bit confused but as a ghost I wouldn't expect her to realize and understand everything that happens around her. She has deep feelings for Ari, so deep that they prevent her from going on after dying. She HAD to see him again, no matter what, so she never in all those years let go of her old life. When she's back under the living she feels a bit lost. The whole world has changed so much but even more she is afraid of Ari turning her down. What will she do then? In a world she doesn't understand with no one to turn to for help? I really liked her and her way of handling Ari. Sure she has some old-fashioned ideas about modesty but she knows what she wants and she always was a "feminist" at heart. She quickly adapts to the new way of life even more with the help of her female descendants.

The romance in this book is scorching. Ms Knight sure knows how to melt my heart. Two lovers rediscovering each other after a very long time without each other. They took their time but when they finally are at that point the air around you will begin to sizzle. The only thing I say is sky smex. *dreams*

Another point which makes this series wonderful is that Ms Knight knits her future story-lines into her novels. I already crave Leo's & Daphne's and (hopefully) Mason's & Nikos' book. Leo and Daphne have a heartbreaking foundation for there love and as I see the development these two take, I'm sure I have to prepare myself for tears while reading the next book. Mason and Nikos, these to nearly make me speechless because of all the emotion I feel while thinking of them. I want, no I need them to get an HEA and preferable in a book. *wink* Actually I love all her side characters. I squeeeed every time I read a chapter about one of the future couples. I'm already so addicted.

Red Demon is a wonderful new addition to this series: great story, action, love, passion and friendship. It will make you laugh and make you cry but you will feel very good after you read the last word. As always Ms Knight touched my heart with her prose and especially the love she puts into her writing. Wonderful book and highly recommended to all PNR lovers.
 
To learn more about Deidre Knight visit her website here.

To learn more about these wonderful Spartans take a look at their website here.

The Gods of Midnight Series:
1. Red Fire: Reviews @Goodreads; buy @amazon
2. Red Kiss: Reviews @Goodreads; buy @amazon
3. Red Demon Reviews @Goodreadsbuy @amazon
4. Red Mortal (February 2011)

6 comments:

Mandi September 1, 2010 at 5:11 PM  

I love rediscovered lovers :) I haven't read this author yet....

SusiSunshine September 1, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

@Mandi You really should give her a try! She's awesome and this series is great!

Blodeuedd September 1, 2010 at 9:33 PM  

Sky smex, *ponders upon this* I am curious

A Buckeye Girl Reads September 2, 2010 at 2:25 AM  

I have been meaning to try this author forever!! You've put her on my radar again.

Cecile Smutty Hussy September 2, 2010 at 4:26 AM  

Hey my sweetie!!! Ohhh I like this one!! Hummm... will have to look a little deeper!!!
Hope all is well honey!!! Hugs!

SusiSunshine September 2, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

@Blodeuedd A really good reason. Believe me! ;)

@Colette You should give her a try. Her writing is fabulous.

@Cecile Do that! And yes I'm good. Hope you are too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP