October 3, 2010

20 Years after the German Reunification

Today is the Germany Unity Day. We are one country again since 20 years, most of my life so to say and I'm indescribably happy about this.

I already blogged about what this means to me last year on the 20th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall. Today we celebrate the end of this unification, the day we finally were one country again, at least on paper. I know we still have some things to achieve but we can be proud of what we already did. I would love to sees us united in the minds of everyone too but unfortunately that's still not the case. But we have a steady progress.

I don't want to talk negative about anything today so I decided to celebrate the good things.

So today I will celebrate things I wouldn't be able to choose or do in the GDR:

my profession
the freedom to go where I want to go
buy bananas every single day of the week ;) (I just couldn't resist that one)
my believe in god or not do so
listening to the music I love
reading the books I crave
saying what I want
my own political opinion 
vote for whom I want to in elections
buy a car and not wait 20 years to get it ;)

So join the celebration.

What do you want to celebrate?

6 comments:

Blodeuedd October 3, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

Celebrate :) I am glad you get to live in a country where you get your bananas and books :D

Amy C October 3, 2010 at 1:41 PM  

Has it been over 20 years since the fall of the Berlin wall? I lived in Germany for 3 years and the wall came down a year or so after we left. I remember I was in my German class in I think 8th grade and my German teacher was talking about it. She was pretty emotional too.

I'm glad you are able to express yourself and have the things you want, especially those yummy bananas :)!

MrsMixx October 3, 2010 at 4:12 PM  

I think it's important to celebrate!! Without the reunification we probably never would have met! *eeeeek*
So I'm happy you're able to eat bananas and read all the books you want and give your opinion about anything you want.

SusiSunshine October 3, 2010 at 6:26 PM  

@Amy C Yes amazing how long we are reunited. Yes those bananas are awesome. LOL

@pattepoilue I'm so happy I found you and yep one of teh best reasons to celebrate is exactly that!

Alexia561 October 3, 2010 at 11:58 PM  

Oh my...it's been 20 years already? I still remember the Berlin Wall coming down, and watching reports showing the joy of Germans everywhere when they were finally reunited.

Happy Unity Day! And yay for bananas! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP