June 29, 2009

Review: Street Magic by Caitlin Kittredge

Description:
Her name is Pete Caldecott. She was just sixteen when she met Jack Winter, a gorgeous, larger-than-life mage who thrilled her with his witchcraft. Then a spirit Jack summoned killed him before Pete’s eyes—or so she thought. Now a detective, Pete is investigating the case of a young girl kidnapped from the streets of London. A tipster’s chilling prediction has led police directly to the child…but when Pete meets the informant, she’s shocked to learn he is none other than Jack. Strung out on heroin, Jack a shadow of his former self. But he’s able to tell Pete exactly where Bridget’s kidnappers are hiding: in the supernatural shadow-world of the fey. Even though she’s spent years disavowing the supernatural, Pete follows Jack into the invisible fey underworld, where she hopes to discover the truth about what happened to Bridget—and what happened to Jack on that dark day so long ago… (by goodreads.com)

Review:
Pete and Jack are a strange team. In the beginning they hate each other but they have to work together to stop a monster destroying the live of innocent children. They both have things in their past, memories they need to process to forget all the accusations and misunderstandings between them. But Jack is a real strange guy. He is full of hate and seems to have lost all his will of life. Pete has a whole bunch of own burdens but she's still smart-mouthed and willing to kick ass for reaching her goals. I liked the way the two of them worked together without wanting too. The world building of this story is great. The way Kitredge describes London with all the dark alleys and shabby apartments- the atmosphere is intoxicating. I can't wait to read the next installment "Demon Bound".

7 comments:

Michelle Greathouse June 29, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

I read this a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed it. I am looking forward to the next installment as well. I can't wait to see what's in store for these two. :)

M

Donna June 30, 2009 at 4:13 AM  

I've read several reviews on this book so I bought it but haven't read it yet. Oh, so many books, so little time. I need about 10 extra hours in a day, then maybe just maybe I can get caught up. Thanks for the review! Nice!

SusiSunshine June 30, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

@Michelle: I feel the same.

Just remembered something funny out of the book. In Chapter 5 Kittredge says Jack is 3,5 meters(=11,48feet). Jack the giant! I think the metric system is not her area of expertise.

@Donna: I know this problem. I also have a huge to-read pile. When I finished a book I can't decide what to read next- too many choices.

Mandi July 8, 2009 at 12:46 AM  

I am so excited you have this book five stars. This has been one of my fav reads all year. I loved Jack Winter and the entire story! Can't wait for Dec!!

SusiSunshine July 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

@Mandi Me too. Jack really rocks!

MrsMixx August 11, 2009 at 11:14 AM  

Lol Susi, i remember reading about Jack being 3.5 meters lol i laughed a lot thinking about that.

I had a really good time reading this book, i'm not used to reading "dark" urban fantasy. I liked the way the two characters have a connection. I don't remember when Demon Bound is due but i'll keep an eye open for this one. =)

SusiSunshine August 11, 2009 at 11:34 AM  

I think only the Europeans realized this height faux pas.
Demon Bound comes out in December I think.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP