November 9, 2010

Review: Salome at Sunrise by Inez Kelley

Description:
Bryton Haruk sets out on a suicide mission to stop the bloodthirsty Skullmen from terrorizing the war-weary Land of Eldwyn. Consumed by guilt over the death of his wife, Bryton seeks revenge and reunion in the afterlife with his lost love. His purpose is determined, his bravery unmatched, until the queen casts a spell to save Bryton from himself.

Salome is that spell. A bird-shifter, she can harness the earth’s breeze and take the form of a beautiful, innocent woman. Her challenge is to harness Bryton’s pain and guide him to peace. She entrances and irritates him, tempting Bryton from his mission. Even as he gives in to the passion between them, Bryton insists on mounting a solo attack on the brigands’ compound, and Salome fears her love won’t be enough to save him

Review:
Salome at Sunrise is the second book in a romantic fantasy series but I noticed that after I already started the novel. Usually I really hate to read books out of order, it's one of those OCDs you just can't shed, but Salome at Sunrise drew me in nonetheless. At times I noticed that this has to be a book in a series and I felt like I missed some of the good stuff in the first book (btw it's Myla by Moonlight) but I never felt left behind or as if I missed any vital information.

Salome at Sunrise is set in a wonderful fantasy world full of magical creatures and with an overal medieval touch. Ms Kelley introduces her world on the go. We learn more with every step our hero takes and I loved to discover her world full of magic.

This novel is all about Bryton. He's on a journey of vengence. He tries to bring justice to his wife's murderer and he will give all his wit and might to reach this goal. He is obsessed with this cause and can't see anything else. Even when Salome is send his way he won't falter. He's stubborn as hell and just won't see reason. He was quite infuriating at times. I would have loved to just kick him where it hurts most even though he was kind of sweet and sexy at times but still he made me angry more than once.

Salome is a spell send to Bryton by Myla, the queen of Eldwyn. She is a peacemaker and the only reason for her existence is bringing peace to Bryton's soul. She has the ability to shift into any bird she wants. She's a timid and shy girl but she can show her claws if she feels the need to do so. She is an innocent, she has nearly no knowledge about how this world works. Even daily chores like cooking are something new and exciting for her. She's a kind and loving person who sets everything before her own needs and wishes. A truly selfless person. She's also able to feel what Bryton feels and so she senses every turmoil or struggle he lives through. Soon she loses her heart to this dark and brooding man who seems to push her away at every chance he gets.

It was so cute to watch Salome learn how to live in this world. Even more entertaing was to watch Bryton and Salome fight and struggle. There are moments even the shy spell Salome loses her cool and her potty mouth is something you should keep your eyes open for. *wink* The romance between these two developes in small little steps but the chemistry is there from the start. I was fascinated by those two and their friendship, love and adoration captivated me. It felt so pristine and pure.

The pace of this story is perfect. I loved how we slowly venture to the final fight- the one thing we all knew would come. The only thing I can critizise is that the solution at the end was a bit too easy for my taste but I can't really begrudge them their HEA. These two deserve it.

Salome at Sunrise is a real pageturner. The world building is perfectly done and Ms Kelley's writing is instantly compelling. You will devour page after page without noticing how much you already read. Highly recommended fantasy romance!

To learn more about Inez and her books please visit her website here.
 
Read other reviews @Goodreads. Buy the book @Carina Press.

9 comments:

Mandi November 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

Nice review!

I liked the first in the series..I need to start this one!

SusiSunshine November 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM  

@Mandi I so want to read the first one. I have to go ebook -shopping. =)

Blodeuedd November 9, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

Skullmen, well they sure sound icky

SusiSunshine November 9, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

@Blodeuedd They are even worse. *shudders*

Julia Barrett November 9, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

I'll have to check out book one.

Inez Kelley November 9, 2010 at 6:18 PM  

Thank you for the lovely review. and LOL over Salome's potty mouth. She only knew what Bryton taught her! As my kids would say. She didn't know it was a bad word! Salome was all peace and innocence until she got mad, then she was giving Bryton peace...a piece of her mind!

I hope you read and enjoy Myla by Moonlight. I am almost finished with the final in this trilogy

SusiSunshine November 9, 2010 at 6:38 PM  

@Inez Yep, that kind of "peace" LOL I can't wait to read more about it. *g*

Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) November 10, 2010 at 3:46 AM  

This sounds good, thanks for putting it on my radar. I love it when a book grabs me like that :)

SusiSunshine November 10, 2010 at 7:03 AM  

@Patti It is a fascinating book. And I so know what you mean.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP